Sunday, June 26, 2011

Coorparoo Quilters Quilt Show 2011

Coorparoo Quilters have a quilt show every two years.  This year, we held it over the weekend of 4-5 June.  We had a Mug Bag Challenge (eg make a bag to put a mug into, to take to class).  The bag had to match the mug.  I had an idea to make a bag like a rose, to match a beautiful mug my sister Lee had given me a few years ago. 
Here are all the beautiful mug bags:
 
I dropped off my quilts and mug bag on the Friday afternoon.  We had an opening event on the Friday evening.  I was walking towards the mug bags with my friend Conny.  I said, 'Someone's put something purple in my mug".  Conny said, "They must have accidentally left something behind".  We went up close to it and it was a Winner blue ribbon!!  What a fabulous surprise.  There were so many fantastic mug bags there.  I didn't even realise that it was being judged that afternoon.   I also received a book and 8 fat quarters at our next quilt meeting, so I was very happy. 

When making the rose mug bag, I had thought about individual petals right through to the middle.  The middle petals were going to be long and kind of come together like the inside of the rose.   It didn't work out like that though.  I found this fabulous fabric in my stash that looks like the inside of a rose and so I made a tube with that for the inside.  The mug sits inside this tube, which has a drawstring at the top.  The fabric is drawn together, swirled and then tucked into the mug.  I also spray starched and curled the fabric petals.


 The is the trade table - many of our group made pretty things to sell.


Here I am with my reversible Sudoku quilt, finally finished!!



Conny is on the right, selling tickets in front of the amazing Raffle Quilt some of our group made.




This is the Joy of Christmas quilt I made from the blocks I won at our Christmas in July retreat last year.  I made the letter blocks.

No comments: