Friday, February 26, 2010

Painting fabric

I bought some textile inks in spray bottles at the Textile Fair last year - the brand is Moon Glow. These iridescent inks are in powdered form and are mixed with hot water.                                             I bought several bottles, not knowing quite what I'd do with them. I bought 2 Starburst Sprays: Cathedral Pine Green and Red Hot Poker Orange.  When sprayed, they leave a starburst, as seen left and below.  I really liked these effect, especially as they dried very glittery.                                          Anotherer type I bought was Moon Shadow Mist: Moonlit Mulberry.  I was disappointed in this brown colour.

I also tried using the spray inks on a quilt top I had made from a birthday block swap.  I was bored with the quilt top and wanted to see if I could jazz it up.  Here is the quilt top before any colour went on.

You can see some of the starburst colour on a block below, but overall I wasn't fussed with the result.

Next I'm going to use some of my iridescent PaintStiks on the quilt top as well as the other fabric piece, to see if that will be more interesting.
The fabric and quilt top got caught in a heavy downpour and some of the colour came out.  Then the ultimate disgrace - one of my daughter's puppies decided that pulling the quilt top off the clothes line would be a fantastic game.  So now one border has got chew holes in it.......

No comments: